Thoughtful contamination coverage for breweries
The brew process involves a number of perishable ingredients, all of which require proper storage. Mishandling or incorrectly storing these ingredients could cripple your brewery’s ability to produce a good quality product.
What is contamination?
The proliferation of unintended organisms, including bacteria, molds, or wild yeast. Contamination also includes drug compounds or any other physical or chemical material in your perishable brewing ingredients.
These contaminants could be introduced during storage, or during the processing or manufacturing operation.
Storage tips to help avoid contamination
Keep it dry and contained; moisture is the number one enemy of malt ingredients.
• Store Malted Grain in airtight containers to reduce the risk of attracting rodents or insects.
• Don’t store it in a refrigerator or freezer because condensation may form when it thaws.
• Store liquid malt extract in the original manufacturer packaging. Follow the manufacturer’s recommended use by date, including the recommended shelf life for opened product.
• We recommend that you maintain a dry storage space between 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit
Keep it frozen.
• Store hops in an airtight container to prevent freezer burn
• For best product quality results, avoid any exposure to heat, light, or oxygen
Keep it refrigerated.
• Refrigerate dry form, liquid form, or cultured yeast as close to 32 degrees as possible so that it remains (or becomes) dormant
• Proper storage techniques can reduce spoilage and lowers the risk of autolysis
Working Closely with Mutual of Enumclaw they can offer many coverage’s to help protect your investment:
Mutual of Enumclaw’s brewery endorsement includes contamination
• Brewing ingredients that have perished on the premises.
– Direct physical loss to perishable brewing ingredients or products you have sold but not delivered.
– Expense support for removal and disposal of perished brewing ingredients.
• Changes in temperature resulting from breakdown.
• Service outages beyond your control including electrical, gas, and water.
Mutual of Enumclaw is proud to offer Contamination coverage to our brewing members. Our standard form coverage limits begin at $10,000 per occurrence with increased limits available upon request.
For a quote or review of your Brewery Insurance Coverage contact us today at (425)212-3505
Source: Mutual of Enumclaw