Auto Insurance – Accidents happen – even to the most careful drivers.
Knowing what to do after an accident will help you to remain calm and in control. It can also help you get back on the road faster.
- Get help for the injured.
- Call the police. Remain at the scene of the accident.
- Warn oncoming traffic. Set hazard lights and flares.
- Try to remain calm.
- Do not admit fault.
- Exchange names, addresses, emails, phone numbers, makes of vehicles, driver’s and vehicle license numbers, and insurance company/policy number information with all drivers.
- Get names, addresses, emails, and phone numbers of all passengers and witnesses.
- Sketch the accident scene on a piece of paper. Include which way your vehicle was traveling. Which way the other vehicle(s) was traveling.
- Examine and record damage to other vehicles and property.
- Take pictures of the scene and damage. The more the better.
- Do not discuss the accident or sign any documents. Only answer questions asked by police and your claim representative.
- Call your insurance companies Claims # promptly. Your claim representative will ask you some questions about the accident and will begin the claim resolution process immediately.
Put together an emergency kit to keep in your car. Be sure to include:
- Nonperishable food
- Pen or pencil
- Jumper cables
- Garbage bag
- First-aid supplies
- Paper towels
- Disposable camera
- Emergency phone charger
If you have any further insurance claims questions contact us.