Register as a Contractor for the First Time

If this is a new business, you must do the following:

  1. Choose your business structure.
    If you are going to operate as a Sole-Proprietor or General Partnership, skip to step 3. If you are going to operate as a Corporation, Limited Partnership (LP), Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) or a Limited Liability Company (LLC) continue with step 2.
  2. Register with WA Secretary of State ( or call 360-725-0377. Cost is approximately $180. You can pay an additional fee for expedited service.
  3. Complete a Business License Application online ( to get your Uniform Business Identifier number (UBI#), or go into a Department of Revenue, Employment Security, or Labor & Industries office to pick up the form and get your business license. Cost is $19 – $24.
  4. Get your IRS Employer ID# if you plan to employ workers.
    Call the IRS ( at 1-800-829-4933 to get a free Employer Identification Number (EIN) (344 KB PDF) (
  5. Fill out the Application for Contractor Registration (F625-001-000) and have it notarized.

    Your local L&I office will notarize it for you.

  6. Purchase bond and liability insurance.
    Get a surety bond or assignment of account from your insurance agent:
    • $12,000 for a general contractor.
    • $6,000 for a specialty contractor (one trade only).
    Get proof of general liability insurance coverage from your insurance agent:
    • $50,000 property damage policy and $200,000 public liability policy.
    • $250,000 combined single limit policy.

    NOTE: Originals of your bond and insurance will be required to complete your registration.

  7. Prepare to pay the registration fee.
    Go to Contractor Registration Fees page for the correct amount.
  8. Submit your application and required documents to L&I.
    The easiest and quickest way to complete this process is to walk in to a local L&I office.


Be sure to bring the following:

The local customer service representative will make sure all information is complete and answer any questions you may have. You will receive your temporary registration number (your receipt) at that time if all your paperwork is in order.

By mail

Be sure to mail all of the following:

Mail all originals to the following address:

Department of Labor & Industries
Contractor Registration Section
PO Box 44450
Olympia WA 98504-4450

Note: Be sure to make copies of all the above for yourself.

After evaluating your application information, L&I will do one of the following:

  • If approved, mail your registration within 2 – 4 weeks.
  • If rejected, contact you about missing documentation within 2 – 4 weeks.

NOTE: If you do not receive a response within 2 – 4 weeks, please call 1-800-647-0982 to verify we received your application.

Additional information to help you register as a contractor:

For more information contact us today.

Source -

Share |

NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014

View Mobile Version